Monday, October 14, 2013

Soup's On



We have been having very gray and rainy weather and I have been
in a soup making mood.  Yesterday I made some carrot ginger soup.
It's my Mom's favorite and I will share that recipe with you later
this week.  This morning I woke up and thought I should do
something with the remaining cremini mushrooms that were left 
over from a stuffed flank steak I made over the weekend.







I didn't have all of the ingredients I needed to make it strictly homemade,
so I made my own semi homemade version.  By tweaking canned soup
with a few fresh ingredients you can add lots more flavor to on hand
pantry soup.

I had to purchase some store bought thyme.  Can't wait to get an
herb garden going again because I sure do miss the one I had
off the back porch back in Idaho.




A little bit of sherry wine added to the soup adds lots of flavor too.
I'll give you the recipe at the end of this post.





I brought my soup creation into my studio where I am re-reading the 
instructions for putting my dollhouse together.  



Paint, glue guns and wallpaper are ready to go.





Let's hope I don't botch it up.  My hubby will tease me
forever if I do!  Tee hee.

Semi Homemade Wild Mushroom Soup

Cremini Mushrooms (I had 7) ~ sliced
EVOO
1/2 Onion diced
Fresh Thyme
Splash of Sherry Wine
Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
Can of Beef Broth


Thinly coat bottom of a small soup pot with olive oil
over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add diced onion.
After onion becomes translucent (don't rush this step)
add a pat of butter and the sliced mushrooms.  Lightly
salt to bring out the water in the mushrooms.  Be careful
about the salt because canned soups are salty. 

Let the mushrooms get nice and soft and then strip the
leaves off a couple of sprigs of thyme and add to the pot.
Add the sherry to deglaze the pan and then add the
can of cream of mushroom soup and the beef broth.
Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer
for 30 minutes.  Ladle the soup into a pretty cup
or bowl and enjoy.

This is a quick and easy version.  I have made the
fully homemade version with a variety of types of
mushrooms and homemade broth and just added 
some cream.  The homemade version is less salty 
and has a fuller flavor, but in a pinch this semi-
homemade version isn't bad.



I told you that Bentley is a first class lizard hunter now,
but he has added a new creature to the hunt list ~
frogs!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley








12 comments:

  1. Yummy. I have been craving mushrooms lately. I will have to try this one. Your kitchen and studio look nice and cozy.....and you know I love cozy, hah. I love fall and love making soup when the temps. get cooler. I was surprised at the coolness in Ohio when I returned from my trip. So welcoming for me. Glad you are settling in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bentley, did you ever have any idea there would be so much excitement in Texas?!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan! We had rain on Saturday but today it's hot and humid again. Now your soup sounds delish! Yummy. I could eat soup any time. Can't wait to see your little doll house. I have confidence in you - you'll get it right. Love that little Bentley!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan ~ this sounds absolutely yummy. I must try this when I am in a hurry and need a dinner in a pinch. Wow ~ I made turkey chilli tonight. Hope you enjoyed your yummy bowl of soup. Take your time with the doll house ~ it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan ~ this sounds absolutely yummy. I must try this when I am in a hurry and need a dinner in a pinch. Wow ~ I made turkey chilli tonight. Hope you enjoyed your yummy bowl of soup. Take your time with the doll house ~ it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy..adding sherry to mushroom soup is so so good...I have several soups that I make like this by adding a can or two and then some fresh ingredients...my Mama used to do this all the time...
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds wonderful and I like that it is semi-homemade! Great recipe. Hope you had a wonderful Monday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup looks and sounds so inviting. I do hope you'll link to Seasonal Sundays.You'd be missed.

    - The Tablescaper



    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup looks absolutely wonderful...thanks for the recipe. I love that your posts are so much more a reflection of your life, especially in pictures. Just loving it all, Susan!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are fabulous and the soup sounds fabulous too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mushrooms and your soup sounds perfect for our household-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soup sounds great for a day like today. I bet your winters are going to be SOOOOOO different from what you are used to!

    I just ordered my wallpaper for the dollhouse today, so I'm a step behind you!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...